[OS X TeX] BibDesk preview missing char error

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Sat Jan 6 02:57:23 CET 2007

On Jan 5, 2007, at 17:17, Jonathan Lewis wrote:

> Sorry about the hijacking. This is the post I sent yesterday. In
> answer to Adam Maxwell's question, the error appears in the LaTeX
> Preview window.
>
> Mac OS X 10.4.8 Japanese, BibDesk 1.2.10 (v483), TeXShop v. 2 (2.09d)
>
> TeX and BibTeX are working fine in TeXShop -- I'm writing in
> English, not using any Japanese characters.
>
> When I try to preview an item in BibDesk I get the error below.
>
> Settings in BibDesk:
>
> * Preview Preferences *
> Generate previews using TeX -- on
> Full path to pdflatex: /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-
> darwin7.9.0/pdfetex

Try using pdflatex instead of pdfetex.  XeLaTeX will also work.

> Tex template: default with addition of \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc},
> although I get the same error even if I remove this line.
> TeX template encoding: Unicode (UTF-8)

As long as these two are the same, you're fine.

> * Opening and Saving Preferences *
> Open and export BibTex files using encoding Unicode (UTF-8)
> Unicode to TeX conversion -- off (I get the same error even if set
> this to on).
>
> The bibTex file has only one entry and uses only plain-ASCII
> characters.
>
> Reading the various lists, there seem to be a lot of issues with
> Japanese text and BibDesk; should I just resign myself to no
> preview, even when I'm not processing any Japanese text?

I'm not aware of "a lot of issues with Japanese text and BibDesk," so
if people don't report problems, they won't be fixed.

We recently worked around some issues with Japanese encodings in
BibDesk; if you're using Japanese encodings (e.g. Shift-JIS), you
might want to try a nightly build.  If you're using UTF-8, things
should work just fine with 1.2.10.

Adam