[OS X TeX] BibDesk preview missing char error

Jonathan Lewis jonathan_lewis at mac.com
Sat Jan 6 02:17:01 CET 2007

Sorry about the hijacking. This is the post I sent yesterday. In
answer to Adam Maxwell's question, the error appears in the LaTeX
Preview window.

Mac OS X 10.4.8 Japanese, BibDesk 1.2.10 (v483), TeXShop v. 2 (2.09d)

TeX and BibTeX are working fine in TeXShop -- I'm writing in English,
not using any Japanese characters.

When I try to preview an item in BibDesk I get the error below.

Settings in BibDesk:

* Preview Preferences *
Generate previews using TeX -- on
Full path to pdflatex: /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin7.9.0/
pdfetex
Full path to bibtex: /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin7.9.0/
bibtex
BibTeX style: abbrv
Tex template: default with addition of \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc},
although I get the same error even if I remove this line.
TeX template encoding: Unicode (UTF-8)

* Opening and Saving Preferences *
Open and export BibTex files using encoding Unicode (UTF-8)
Unicode to TeX conversion -- off (I get the same error even if set
this to on).

The bibTex file has only one entry and uses only plain-ASCII characters.

Reading the various lists, there seem to be a lot of issues with
Japanese text and BibDesk; should I just resign myself to no preview,
even when I'm not processing any Japanese text?

Jonathan Lewis

Hitotsubashi University, Tokyo

---------

TeX preview generation failed.  Please review the log below to
determine the cause.
This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.30.4-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.5)
(format=pdfetex 2006.10.15)  5 JAN 2007 21:46
entering extended mode
**bibpreview
(./bibpreview.tex
Missing character: There is no ツ in font cmr10!
Missing character: There is no ・ in font cmr10!
[...]
)
! Emergency stop.
<*> bibpreview

*** (job aborted, no legal ¥end found)