[OS X TeX] CharacterPal & Symbols

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Fri Jan 5 03:03:51 CET 2007

Have you seen the CharacterPal widget <http://www.tacowidgets.com/
widgets/characterpal/>, mentioned today by MacNN?

Too bad the source code isn't available (or if it is I haven't found
where): the way CharacterPal displays not only key combination but
also HTML code for a given character is cool (did you ever suspect ⌘
was "&#x2318;"?), it would be even cooler if it could be adapted to
display TeX code.

On the other hand there is also Symbols <http://vocaro.com/trevor/
software/widgets/>, a bit less intuitive but which knows about TeX
already.

Now if only I understood why Apple has made it so that widgets cannot
be displayed in the same time as standard windows in the Finder:
what's the purpose of such widgets if these cannot be visualized side-
by-side with the windows for which they're supposed to make input
easier. In Vista for example, if I'm not mistaken, gadgets appear in
the Sidebar side-by-side to standard Vista windows.

Let's hope Leopard will correct this (what-I-think-to-be-a) mistake.

Bruno Voisin