[OS X TeX] Re: [OS X TeX][Off list] Lucida Font question

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Fri Jan 5 02:40:26 CET 2007

Le 5 janv. 07 à 01:57, Maarten Sneep a écrit :

> [...]
>
> it is a matter of adding the lucida support files to the local tree,
>     http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/psfonts/bh/
>     and get the entire subdirectory as a .zip file. Unpack and move
> to the correct locations.
> updating the file database,
>     sudo mktexlsr
> adding the lucida.map file to the master font map files.
>     updmap-sys --enable Map=ludica.map
>
> Now, to get them to work with both installations at the same time,
> you either install them twice, install them in ~/Library/texmf, or
> define a local tree which you add to both installations. I don't
> think such a location is there by default. /Library/texmf seems the
> location for such an extra tree.

Hi Maarten,

Sorry I wasn't clear. Accordingly, I'm cc'ing this answer to the list
as well.

The problem I was referring to isn't how to install the fonts only
once and make them available to several TeX trees: I'm planning to
install one version of the fonts per tree.

The problem is instead that support files have been removed from
TeXLive, so that, for example:

- The Lucida metrics etc. are available on CTAN in <http://
www.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/psfonts/bh/>. Regarding gwTeX, they
were present inside texmf.tetex in the teTeX-based i-Package, but are
absent inside texmf.texlive which has replaced it in the TeXLive-
based i-Package. Hence, they must be downloaded from CTAN and added
to gwTeX, as you mentioned. I don't know what's the situation in
TeXLive2006 from MacTeX (the full version, which is the only one I'll
consider).

- The LaTeX packages lucidabr.sty and mathtime.sty are still
available on CTAN in <http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/
contrib/psnfssx/>, but only lucidabr.sty is in gwTeX and I don't know
which, if any, of lucidabr.sty and mathtime.sty is in TeXLive2006.

- The mathtime metrics etc. have been removed from CTAN, but there is
a substitute mt11p <http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/mt11p/>
which also provides an alternative to mathtime.sty. The AFM files
aren't included, but those for MathTime Basic (not Plus) are at
<http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/mathtime/>. mt11p isn't in
gwTeX, but I think Karl Berry told he was planning to include it in
TeXLive2006.

That the kind of things I'm planning to check in detail; in
particular, whether it's still possible to assemble a working
MathTime setup by combining publicly available support files with the
original Y&Y or BSR font files. And when that's done, maybe send
Gerben detailed suggestions for additions to texmf.gwtex, consisting
in the pieces currently missing in gwTeX.

For now, Happy New Year!

Bruno