[OS X TeX] Indexing with Diacritics

Simon Spiegel simon at simifilm.ch
Thu Jan 4 16:17:15 CET 2007

On 04.01.2007, at 16:11, Alan Munn wrote:

> At 7:44 AM +0100 1/4/07, Simon Spiegel wrote:
>> On 03.01.2007, at 19:45, André Bellaïche wrote:
>>> Until now, the most convenient way I have found to make an index
>>> in French with é, è, ç, à, ù, ï characters is to revert to Mac OS
>>> 9 (Classic) and to use the old Makeindex application (which had
>>> the ability of dealing with diacritics ten years ago...). (I
>>> still have a PPC computer.)
>> You might take a look at xindy which is much more versatile than
>> makeindex, especially (but not only) when it comes to special
>> characters.
> Simon, have you managed to get xindy to work on OS X?  The webpage
> says there's no port for the Mac, and installation relies on a
> prebuilt binary.  Building from source doesn't look like something
> for the faint of heart, but if you've managed to do it, it would be
> interesting to find out how.

I can confirm that xindy runs on Mac, but compiling it seems to be a
game of luck. I was succesful on some machines, but not on all.

Try the following step by step guide:

1) get it: http://dev.atmarama.org/xindy-2.2-beta2.tar.gz
2) unpack it: tar -xzf xindy-2.2-beta2.tar.gz
3) go into the build directory: cd xindy-2.2-beta2
4) configure the build: ./configure
5) build it: make
6) test the build before actually installing: make check
7) install it: sudo make install
8) figure out how to use it, but I guess you have the latex companion
second edition in front of you.

If this doesn't work, check out the archives of the mailing list. There
has been quite a long discussion on this.
And a little warning: xindy is indeed very powerful, but not easy to
handle in the beginning. There also isn't too much documentation
available online.

Simon Spiegel
Steinhaldenstr. 50
8002 Zürich

Telephon: ++41 44 451 5334
Mobophon: ++41 76 459 60 39

"I have never been certain that the moral of the Icarus myth is, as
is generally accepted, 'don't fly too high', or whether it might also
be thought of as: 'forget about the wax and feathers, and do a better
job on the wings." Stanley Kubrick