[OS X TeX] Save date-time, not Print date

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 02:48:26 CET 2007

Adam M. Goldstein wrote: On Jan 3, 2007, at 10:28 AM, Alain Schremmer
wrote:

> Whenever I print a document, I get the PRINT date. Is it possible  to
> get the (last) SAVE date-time instead?

Do you mean the last date on which the document was typeset?

Jeffrey J Weimer wrote:

> On Jan 3, 2007, at 9:28 AM, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>
> >Whenever I print a document, I get the PRINT date.
> >Is it possible to get the (last) SAVE date-time instead?
>
> Perhaps I am misunderstanding, but if you compile a document and save
> it as a PDF file, any dates shown via \today in the .tex file remain
> frozen in the .pdf file as the value captured at compile/save time.
> The trick is NOT to recompile the LaTeX .tex file (to regenerate the
> PDF file) if you do NOT want to change that date.

Absolutely correct. It is just that I am a bit sloppy with pdfs and tend
to lose them. So, I often need to recompile without having made any
change. (I know it must sound bizarre.)

> If you have to recompile a file to change a few parameters but want
> to show an unchanging date/version stamp as a sign of a "master"
> version, consider using a date/version code. Try the following to see ..
>
> \documentclass{article}
> \newcommand{\theFileVersion}{2006.12.11}
> \begin{document}
> \footnotetext{This file is version \theFileVersion}
> This document was compiled \today.
> \end{document}

It looks like it and I will try it tomorrow.

Regards
--schremmer