[OS X TeX] Save date-time, not Print date

Jeffrey J Weimer weimerj at email.uah.edu
Thu Jan 4 01:04:35 CET 2007

On Jan 3, 2007, at 9:28 AM, Alain Schremmer wrote:

 >Whenever I print a document, I get the PRINT date.
 >Is it possible to get the (last) SAVE date-time instead?

Perhaps I am misunderstanding, but if you compile a document and save
it as a PDF file, any dates shown via \today in the .tex file remain
frozen in the .pdf file as the value captured at compile/save time.
The trick is NOT to recompile the LaTeX .tex file (to regenerate the
PDF file) if you do NOT want to change that date.

If you have to recompile a file to change a few parameters but want
to show an unchanging date/version stamp as a sign of a "master"
version, consider using a date/version code. Try the following to see ..

\documentclass{article}
\newcommand{\theFileVersion}{2006.12.11}
\begin{document}
\footnotetext{This file is version \theFileVersion}
This document was compiled \today.
\end{document}

Hope this is what you were after.

--
J. J. Weimer, Chemistry / Chemical & Materials Engineering
University of Alabama in Huntsville, MSB 125, 301 Sparkman Dr