[OS X TeX] Bibtex-related error with TeXLive 2006

S P Suresh spsuresh at cmi.ac.in
Tue Jan 2 18:44:51 CET 2007

On 02-Jan-07, at 2 Jan,3:30 , S P Suresh wrote:

> I am testing the new TeXLive-2006 MacTeX package. I tried compiling
> a file (main.tex) which references a bibliography file  (~/Library/
> texmf/bibtex/ref.bib) and some fonts in ~/Library/texmf (Mathdesign
> + URW Garamond).

> While this routine works well with gwTeX, with TeXLive-2006 I get
> an error when I do the bibtex. Here is part of the output on the
> console.
>
> This is BibTeX, Version 0.99c (Web2C 7.5.5)
> The top-level auxiliary file: main.aux
> The style file: alpha.bst
> I couldn't open database file ref.bib
> ---line 86 of file main.aux
> : \bibdata{ref
> :             }
> I'm skipping whatever remains of this command
> I found no database files---while reading file main.aux

Hi,

With reference to the above bibtex problem, I seem to have stumbled
upon the solution. I moved my ref.bib to ~/Library/texmf/bibtex/bib,
and it works. I was looking at the directory structure inside texlive
(for the first time) and noticed a bib directory under texmf-dist/
bibtex. I tried the same in ~/Library/texmf, and it works!

I thank in advance everyone who might have responded while I was off-
line (at least 12 hours! I am writing this off-line!). Sorry  for
harassing you before exploring the configuration and trying to find a
solution on my own. But I hope this information proves useful to others.

Thanks,
Suresh

S P Suresh
Chennai Mathematical Institute