[OS X TeX] TeXLive 2006 (MacTeX) is not detected...

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Tue Jan 2 17:55:38 CET 2007

Am 02.01.2007 um 14:23 schrieb Franck Pastor:

> Le 02-janv.-07 à 12:33, Peter Dyballa a écrit :
>

>> Am 02.01.2007 um 12:14 schrieb Franck Pastor:
>>
>>> Any ideas of what went wrong?
>>
>> Did you check that /usr/texbin/pdflatex exists, i.e. it points to
>> some pdflatex in the TeXLive-2006 branch that points to a real
>> executable file?
>
> /usr/texbin points to ../Library/TeX/Distributions/.DefaultTeX/
> Contents/Programs/powerpc,  which in turn points to
>
> ../..//../.././../../usr/local/texlive/2006/bin/powerpc-darwin
>
> I suppose it means in fact  /usr/local/texlive/2006/bin/powerpc-
> darwin", which does exist and contains the pdflatex command ...

Well, I wouldn't wonder when even a programme gets confused from sym-
links pointing there and here, pointing up and down ... The easy try
would be:

	ls -l /usr/texbin/pdflatex

Are the preferences in TeXShop right?

>>> /sw/bin:/sw/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/
>>> usr/texbin:~/bin:.:/Applications/mosek/4/tools/platform/osx32ppc/
>>> bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current
>>
>> You should remove the /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-
>> current part.
>>

> Isn't it harmless, since the teTeX link is at the end of the list?

Not really: suppose one executable, T1Wrap, isn't found in the active
TeX distribution. Then it could be found in the other one. And would
possibly run into very strange errors ...

I remember an eMail from this year, I think: make the the path
setting in TeXShop preferences to become

	/usr/texbin/

The inventor of symbolic links will come into heaven: he could not
imagine then how much trouble some users of his invention would
produce with disks of a few thousand times the capacity he had to
deal with.

--
Greetings

   Pete

“I hope to die before I *have* to use Microsoft Word.”
      - Donald E. Knuth, 2001-10-02 in Tübingen.

And I would like to die before I would have to use a TeX installation
I cannot proof within seconds that it's set up correctly. There is
more than one way to make an "author" indispensable ...