[OS X TeX] TeXLive 2006 problem finding fonts

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue Jan 2 14:48:11 CET 2007

Le 2 janv. 07 à 14:00, McGarry Vince a écrit :

> [1{/Users/vincemcgarry/Library/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/
> pdftex.map}]

Does this mean you've put a file pdftex.map manually inside your home
directory? In a standard gwTeX or MacTeX setup, there should be no
such file.

The "standard" way of proceeding would have been to download the
Lucida support files from <http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/
psfonts/bh/lucida/>, then either install them at the appropriate
places inside /Library/TeX/Root/texmf.local and run:

sudo texhash
sudo -H updmap-sys --enable Map lucida.map

or install them (as you apparently have done) at the appropriate
places inside ~/Library/texmf and run:

sudo updmap-sys --enable Map lucida.map

In both cases the appropriate global map files psfonts.map,
pdftex.map and dvipdfm.map would be created inside /Library/TeX/Root/
texmf.local/fonts/map. See the recent thread "[OS X TeX] lucida fonts
problems".

The above path ~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map
seems to imply you may have used an "incorrect" invocation of updmap(-
sys), creating config files in you home directory, which is known to
have created problems in the past (for example creating root-owned
files pdftex.map in your home directory). This may have happened
before the gwTeX i-Package made updmap equivalent to updmap-sys by
default (or afterwards, in case you decided against this backwards
compatibility).

What I would suggest: erase all of:

~/Library/texmf/tex/generic/config/language.dat
~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvipdfm/updmap/dvipdfm.map
~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvipdfm/updmap/dvipdfm_dl14.map
~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvipdfm/updmap/dvipdfm_ndl14.map
~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/builtin35.map
~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/download35.map
~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/ps2pk.map
~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/psfonts.map
~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/psfonts_pk.map
~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/psfonts_t1.map
~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map
~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex_dl14.map
~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex_ndl14.map
~/Library/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg
~/Library/texmf/web2c/fmtutil.cnf
~/Library/texmf/web2c/*.log
~/Library/texmf/web2c/*.fmt

then reconfigure your TeX installation (the above list was once
posted by Gerben Wierda, but I cannot find his original message right
now).

The above is for gwTeX, installed using i-Installer. I suppose with
MacTeX it should be the same, but I still haven't tried. From your
log file (for example /usr/local/texlive/2005/texmf-dist/tex/latex/
base/article.cls) it looks like you may have installed directly from
the TeXLive DVD; if that's indeed the case, then I'm not sure the
above applies.

Hope this helps though,

Bruno Voisin