[OS X TeX] Suggestion for TeXShop

Roussanka Loukanova rloukano at stp.lingfil.uu.se
Tue Feb 27 15:27:41 CET 2007

Hi,

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007, S P Suresh wrote:

> On 27-Feb-07, at 27 Feb,7:06 , Ralph Martin wrote:

>>> In this case, is PDF synchronization not help enough? Because anyway, one
>>> has to make a pass looking for bad breaks, and would usually be able to
>>> spot all but the minutest of overfull hboxes.
>

>> Well, that can be very hard to spot on a page which ONLY has maths on it
>> for example.
>>
>> But the real point was this was just an example.
>
> Hi,
>
> I see your point. I guess I was just idly questioning in my last mail. Many a
> time with my papers, I have made a final pass going through the log file,
> fixing the minutest of overfull hboxes. And I am sure what you suggest would
> be a big help. Since warnings do not command your attention like errors do,
> people might not always feel like going through a log file tracking all
> warnings. There is more: this is usually the stage when you are really doing
> visual formatting rather than any logical markup, so you might want to
> typeset after every change you make.

I also think that such improvement would be very good. Overfull hboxes
and vboxes occur not only in math environments, but also inside
\includegraphics[width="some_width"\textwidth]{...}, which I find very
difficult and time consuming to fix. Sometimes, such fixes require many
repetitions of typesetting and checking up the output or log file,
and the suggested improvement would facilitate greatly this process.
Sometimes such overfull h(v)boxes are not visually detectable in the pdf
view (sometimes are).

Roussanka