[OS X TeX] Suggestion for TeXShop

S P Suresh spsuresh at cmi.ac.in
Tue Feb 27 14:56:56 CET 2007

On 27-Feb-07, at 27 Feb,7:06 , Ralph Martin wrote:

> On 27 Feb 2007, at 10:41:34AM, S P Suresh wrote:
>

>> On 27-Feb-07, at 27 Feb,2:53 , Ralph Martin wrote:
>>> Often, TeX warnings can be quite significant things that really
>>> do need fixing up (e.g. overfull hboxes), and this facility would
>>> make it easier to find and fix such problems.
>
>> In this case, is PDF synchronization not help enough? Because
>> anyway, one has to make a pass looking for bad breaks, and would
>> usually be able to spot all but the minutest of overfull hboxes.

> Well, that can be very hard to spot on a page which ONLY has maths
> on it for example.
>
> But the real point was this was just an example.

Hi,

I see your point. I guess I was just idly questioning in my last
mail. Many a time with my papers, I have made a final pass going
through the log file, fixing the minutest of overfull hboxes. And I
am sure what you suggest would be a big help. Since warnings do not
command your attention like errors do, people might not always feel
like going through a log file tracking all warnings. There is more:
this is usually the stage when you are really doing visual formatting
rather than any logical markup, so you might want to typeset after
every change you make. I am sure there are many people more
knowledgeable than I, who will have things to say on how best to help
in this situation.

Cheers,
Suresh

S P Suresh