[OS X TeX] MacTeX - a few questions

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Sun Feb 25 23:20:52 CET 2007

On Feb 24, 2007, at 22:08, Daniel Becker wrote:

>> Instead, it was caused by i-Installer when it installed gwTeX. Gerben
>> installs a small optional application in /Applications/TeX during
>> this installation. Just now I blew away /Applications/TeX and
>> /usr/local/gwTeX and reinstalled using i-Installer; sure enough, the
>> new TeX folder had permissions
>>
>> 	drwxr-xr-x.
>>
>> MacTeX doesn't change the permissions of /Applications/TeX if it
>> already exists. The MacTeX package for gwTeX doesn't install anything
>> in /Applications/TeX. Thus I conjecture that everyone reporting this
>> permissions problem used i-Installer to obtain gwTeX sometime in the
>> past.
>
> ...., ah ok. I installed Gerben's gwTeX (and will continue to do so).
> Maybe he finds the time to fix this, but it is not a problem once you
> know reclaiming ownership doesn't destroy anything.

Hmm, yes. I can fix that easily enough. I think what I will do is make
it so that /Applications/TeX gets the same permissions as
/Applications. That way, if in the future, /Applications gets more
restricted (not entirely unlikely given increasing security demands) so
will /Applications/TeX.

Whatever I do, though, there will always be some disappointed users.
After all, some people may actually *want* the other permissions. I
have used drwxr-xr-x because it is somewhat safer as a default.