Disk Utility: Re: [OS X TeX] MacTeX - a few questions

Roussanka Loukanova rloukano at stp.lingfil.uu.se
Sun Feb 25 13:37:10 CET 2007

Hi,

On Sun, 25 Feb 2007, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 25.02.2007 um 00:00 schrieb Richard Koch:
>
>> The MacTeX installer gives the /Applications/TeX folder exactly the same
>> owner, group, and permissions that Apple itself gives to /Applications.
>> MacTeX gives /usr/local/texlive exactly the same owner, group, and
>> permissions that Apple itself gives to /usr. Etc.
>
> So it would be easiest to run Disk Utility and let it repair permissions
> based on the Mac TeX values, which i-Installer changed or did not follow.
> Over night.

I tried Disk Utility before Dick's suggestion about how to resolve
the problem. Disk Utility did not find the permissions

roussankas-computer:~ rosi$ ls -ld /Applications/Tex
drwxr-xr-x   8 root  admin  272 Feb 22 20:18 /Applications/Tex

for being in need of repair.

In my case, it suggested and repaired an access permission inside of
/private (it switched off write (w) permissions in one of the
subdirectories). The permission repair done by Disk Utility did not fix
any of the problems that I had had, namely:

1. generating the fonts grmn* used by additional language packet bgtex,
and placing them in /private/var/tmp/texfonts.
After I did what Dick suggested, both problems disappeared.

2. permissions of /Applications/Tex

Roussanka