[OS X TeX] (emacs ->) textmate anyone?

Christopher Menzel cmenzel at tamu.edu
Fri Feb 23 20:14:18 CET 2007

> i'm a long-time emacs/auctex user but having played a bit with the
> textmate demo i realize that there are a couple of really nice
> features. now i'm wondering if there is a point in switching.
>
> would those of you using textmate be willing to share their
> experiences? the good, the bad, and the ugly?

I too appreciate a number of TextMate's capabilities, but there are
several dealbreakers for me (YMMV of course):

* No preview-latex
* No support for editing remote files (ange-ftp, tramp)
* No support for multiple views into the same buffer!

I really don't know how anyone can write/code effectively without the
last of those.  And since you're a Mac user, have you tried using
Aquamacs Emacs and/or Enrico Franconi's ECE plugin (http://
www.inf.unibz.it/~franconi/enhanced-carbon-emacs)?

Chris Menzel