mactex.tar.gz (complete ... Re: [OS X TeX] final tex live 2007

Roussanka Loukanova rloukano at stp.lingfil.uu.se
Fri Feb 23 12:01:02 CET 2007

Hi,

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007, Martin Wilhelm Leidig wrote:

> Good morning!
>
> Am 2007-02-22 um 22.38 schrieb Roussanka Loukanova:
>> Except that I had again to do the fix in
>> "/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/tex/latex/beamer/beamerbaseboxes.sty"
>> for the beamer package (which one has to do for each update of both
>> TeXLive-2007 and gwTeX).
>
> Huh?  What patch?  Could you please tell me more about that?

Without the fix (see at the end), some of the covered text in beamer files
does not get uncovered, or it is not supposed to be covered at all. For
ex., see the word "hold" on p.24 of beamerexample5.pdf. The
beamerexample5.pdf is located in

./local/gwTeX/texmf.texlive/doc/latex/beamer/examples/
./local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/doc/latex/beamer/examples/

The pre-typeset beamerexample5.pdf looks fine, but after you make a copy
of the examples in your home directory, and typeset them, you will (most
likely) get the problem. This is just a single word and can be easily
overlooked (esp., without concentrated attention on the content of the
material). With some beamer files

1) material (such as text, items in lists environments, graphics, etc.)
gets and stays covered on all frames, without even being in the scope
of covering, i.e. overlay, command/environment at all.

2) material that is supposed to uncover on subsequent frames, doesn't not
get uncovered.

It looks to me that some of the environments or commands get total
scope, after their scope is opened, either with \command{...} or
\begin{env} ... \end{}. As if the closing entity doesn't operate properly.
The problem goes quietly, without issuing any errors.

Something more, even if mis-covered material occurs on many frames, or is
a large chunk (not just a single word), I can imagine that one can easily
overlook it, in various situations such as:

After updates of TeXLive and gwTeX, one can just forget to do the fix.
Since typesetting goes without error warnings, one may make
small changes in a beamer presentations, which look perfectly ok. Even
if one Views all pages, this can be done without concentrated re-reading
of all pages. The longer the beamer file is lesser the chance of
noticing such mis-covered pieces.

But even with the fix, some problems persist: e.g., in beamerexample1.tex,
the following color specification produces error:

\rowcolors[]{1}{structure!25!averagebackgroundcolor}{structure!10!averagebackgro
undcolor}

Till Tantau suggested temporarily a fix, which makes problems with
beamer files disappear. The fix is (with a slight difference in the
paths for TeX on Mac, for both distributions, from the path that Till
Tantau sent over):

in

/usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.texlive/tex/latex/beamer/beamerbaseboxes.sty
/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/tex/latex/beamer/beamerbaseboxes.sty

replace the line

\setbox\bmb at colorbox=\hbox{\color{lower.bg}}%

by the line

\setbox\bmb at colorbox=\hbox{{\pgfpicturetrue\pgfsetcolor{lower.bg}}}%

Roussanka