[OS X TeX] Hyperlink failure with TeXShop and Preview

Roussanka Loukanova rloukano at stp.lingfil.uu.se
Thu Feb 22 22:59:32 CET 2007

Hi again,

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 22 févr. 07 à 19:03, Roussanka Loukanova a écrit :
>
>> BTW, are there free versions of MS Word, Excel, Office? Free or payed,
>> which version is ok on Macs? (There are so non-positive writings about
>> Vista...)
>
> OpenOffice.org -- yes the .org is part of the name, as odd as it seems -- is
> precisely such a free clone, often abridged as OOo
> <http://www.openoffice.org>. There's an "official" Mac port based on X11
> <http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/download/x11.html>, and an "unofficial"
> Mac port called NeoOffice, based on Java and having an Aqua -- ie Mac-like --
> interface <http://download.neooffice.org/neojava/en>.
>
> An official Aqua Mac port is in preparation
> <http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/faq/aqua-prerelease>, freeing the user
> from the slowness associated with Java.

Like you, I'll wait for the Aqua Port of OOo, if nothing better pops-up
meanwhile.

> (Actually the difference between the
> official and unofficial ports goes deeper than that. The official ports use
> the LGPL and require developers to sign a Joint Copyright Assignment to
> themselves and to Sun; I'm no expert on these matters, but I read this
> amounts for developers to donate their work to Sun. By contrast, the
> unofficial NeoOffice port is GPL.)
>
> A LaTeX equation editor has been developed to integrate equations inside OOo
> documents. It is called OOoLaTeX <http://ooolatex.sourceforge.net>. Equations
> can be inserted either inline or displayed. In case they are inline,
> automatic baseline correction (for subscripts, superscripts, etc.) is
> performed. The equations are inserted as pictures, and the user can choose
> between bitmap format (PNG), Encapsulated PostScript (EPS) with bitmap
> preview, and truly vectorial format (EMF). The LaTeX code for the equations
> is inserted as comments in the pictures, allowing later edition, pretty much
> as LaTeXiT does.

I saw this feature, but didn't know how it worked. Now I got the idea, at
least.

> Finally there's another clone of MS Word called AbiWord
> <http://www.abisource.com/>. I've not used it regularly, but in my quick
> tests it fared worse than OOo Writer when dealing with MS Word documents.

O, I tried it, and am very disappointed...

> Hope this helps,

Of course, it does more than help. As I already said: I am sure that more
people, like me, had these questions flying around them. Thanks!

Roussanka