[OS X TeX] Hyperlink failure with TeXShop and Preview

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Feb 22 22:28:37 CET 2007

Le 22 févr. 07 à 19:03, Roussanka Loukanova a écrit :

> BTW, are there free versions of MS Word, Excel, Office? Free or
> payed, which version is ok on Macs? (There are so non-positive
> writings about Vista...)

OpenOffice.org -- yes the .org is part of the name, as odd as it
seems -- is precisely such a free clone, often abridged as OOo
<http://www.openoffice.org>. There's an "official" Mac port based on
X11 <http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/download/x11.html>, and an
"unofficial" Mac port called NeoOffice, based on Java and having an
Aqua -- ie Mac-like -- interface <http://download.neooffice.org/
neojava/en>.

An official Aqua Mac port is in preparation <http://
porting.openoffice.org/mac/faq/aqua-prerelease>, freeing the user
from the slowness associated with Java. (Actually the difference
between the official and unofficial ports goes deeper than that. The
official ports use the LGPL and require developers to sign a Joint
Copyright Assignment to themselves and to Sun; I'm no expert on these
matters, but I read this amounts for developers to donate their work
to Sun. By contrast, the unofficial NeoOffice port is GPL.)

A LaTeX equation editor has been developed to integrate equations
inside OOo documents. It is called OOoLaTeX <http://
ooolatex.sourceforge.net>. Equations can be inserted either inline or
displayed. In case they are inline, automatic baseline correction
(for subscripts, superscripts, etc.) is performed. The equations are
inserted as pictures, and the user can choose between bitmap format
(PNG), Encapsulated PostScript (EPS) with bitmap preview, and truly
vectorial format (EMF). The LaTeX code for the equations is inserted
as comments in the pictures, allowing later edition, pretty much as
LaTeXiT does.

Finally there's another clone of MS Word called AbiWord <http://
www.abisource.com/>. I've not used it regularly, but in my quick
tests it fared worse than OOo Writer when dealing with MS Word
documents.

Hope this helps,

Bruno