[OS X TeX] final tex live 2007

Roussanka Loukanova rloukano at stp.lingfil.uu.se
Thu Feb 22 17:12:27 CET 2007

Hi,

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007, Bruno Voisin wrote:
> Speaking about <http://www.tug.org/~koch/NewPackages.html> (I don't know
> what's the situation exactly with <http://www.tug.org/mactex/>, I'm not using
> it any longer):
>
> - MacTeX_Additions.dmg contains a selection of GUI applications (TeXShop,
> BibDesk, LaTeXiT, Excalibur, i-Installer), plus the Unix programs used by TeX
> (essentially GhostScript, ImageMagick, FreeType, installed as i-Packages with
> the corresponding receipts, so as to allow future update via i-Installer),
> but not TeX itself.
>
> - TeX itself, available in 4 variants:
>
> * gwTeX.dmg: Gerben Wierda's subset of TeX Live 2007, identical to what
> would be installed by the corresponding i-Package in i-Installer.
>
> * TeXLive-2007.dmg: the full TeX Live 2007, identical to what would be
> installed from the TeX Live DVD (with a few added bits to avoid the
> configuration hassle associated with the Unix origins of TeX Live).
>
> * teTeX.dmg: the deprecated teTeX-based gwTeX i-Package, as used to be
> available through i-Installer. Forget about it.
>
> * TeXLiveMTS-2007.dmg: a subset of the TeX Live 2007 DVD, designed to mimick
> gwTeX. That was an attempt which I think will be discontinued.
>
> Hence the choice is essentially between TeXLive-2007.dmg and gwTeX.dmg.
>
> - Another component, not mentioned at this page, is Herb Schulz's MacTeXtras
> <http://www.tug.org/mactex/MacTeXtras.dmg> containing for example CocoAspell,
> TCOBrowser, TeXniscope, and so forth, corresponding to the directory
> <http://cvs.sarovar.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/Extras/?cvsroot=mactex>.
>
> At the bottom of the page <http://www.tug.org/~koch/NewPackages.html> you can
> find an all-in-one archive mactex.tar.gz containing:
>
> 	MacTeX_Additions.dmg
> 	TeXLive-2007.dmg
> 	MacTeXtras.dmg
>
> Personally I have two TeX installs (plus Textures, but that's another story):
>
> - mactex.tar.gz, for maximum compatibility with the TeX setups of colleagues
> all over the world.
>
> - gwTeX, installed via i-Installer, for maximum reliability and consistency.
> I prefer to use i-Installer for this, as I install in Expert mode and
> introduce a number of customizations during the Configure stage. This avoids
> having to run updmap, mktexlsr and texconfig afterwards from the command
> line.

This mactex.tar.gz at the very bottom of the site, puzzled me from the
time it appeared. Now, you dispelled the mystery (almost, since I haven't
seen it). I want to try these too, but if you could separate some more
time with some more advise:

1. Before installing mactex.tar.gz, should I uninstall some of what I
already have (MacTeX_Additions, TeXLive-2007). If yes, which parts?

Perhaps, I can keep at least Font Utilities, Ghostscript, and ImageMagick.
Right? What about i-Installer: Is there something specific, because
mactex.tar.gz would, perhaps, attempt to install it?

2. I did the Full mode of gwTeX install. But I am tempted (very much
indeed) to try he expert mode, if you would give some guidelines. (Some
time ago, I dared that with the deprecated-now teTeX. I'm not sure
if I grasped what I did, but whatever, teTeX worked greatly.)

And, as in (1), should I first uninstall the current gwTeX installation?
I have the latest version, installed via i-Installer? (If yes, this should
be easy with i-Installer.)

Roussanka