[OS X TeX] final tex live 2007

Roussanka Loukanova rloukano at stp.lingfil.uu.se
Wed Feb 21 16:55:13 CET 2007

Hi,

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007, Franck Pastor wrote:
> Il gwTeX is already installed, why not keeping it? It is pretty efficient and
> stable (and still maintained! It's only mail support which is discarded).

Do not believe, even for a millisecond, that the last sentence in the
parentheses is true! I.e., at least not yet, and there are no signs for
becoming true: The folks of this list are highest level experts (it seems
some are developers, but some are just users) and respond to our emails
describing problems or seeking advises and help, sometimes faster than
we, the "usual" users, can read the helpful replies! Even Gerben Wierda
jumps with helpful responds.

I was at one point in your situation, and what Frank advises you worked
excellently for me.

1.
I followed <http://www.tug.org/~koch/Uninstalling.html>  and uninstalled
everything (since I had a new Mac, I didn't have teTeX on it, but I had
TeXLive-2006 and previous gwTeX), *except Font Utilities,  Ghostscript,
and ImageMagick*, which I kept to avoid possible mess. Then I installed

2.
<MacTeX_Additions.dmg> and <TeXLive-2007.dmg (full TeXLive...) from
<http://www.tug.org/~koch/NewPackages.html>

3.
I also installed gwTeX with i-Installer by following
<http://ii2.sourceforge.net/>

After that updates are very easy for MacTeX_Additions + TeXLive-2007 and
i-Installer + gwTeX.

(as I have typed the above: I did 2-3 in the other order.)

If memory on your Mac is not a problem by having both TeXLive-2007 and
gwTeX, it's seems good to have both. You can use the pane
[System Preferences -> TeX Distribution] to switch from one to another TeX
instantly.

TeXLive-2007 has almost all packages and documentation that are on ctan,
and it is very useful to have them under hands, with TeXLive-2007 working
excellently, when you need them. But gwTeX has close to everything that
one usually needs and works like a magic.

Roussanka