[OS X TeX] Re: TexShop Configuration

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Feb 20 20:30:42 CET 2007

On Feb 20, 2007, at 1:03 PM, Christina Schatzman wrote:

> Herbert Schulz <herbs at ...> writes:
>>>
>> You've got to run bibtex after a run of pdflatex. Then you run
>> pdflatex two more times to enter the bibliography and (cross)
>> references.
>>
> I try to do this, but get hung up on the bibtex run (which is
> undoubtedly
> the problem with my footnote/endnote issue as well.) Despite having
> the
> bib and style inserted, I get the error:
>
> This is BibTeX, Version 0.99c (Web2C 7.5.5)
> The top-level auxiliary file: globalart02_207.aux
> I found no \bibdata command---while reading file globalart02_207.aux
> I found no \bibstyle command---while reading file globalart02_207.aux
> (There were 2 error messages)

Can you give a minimal example of a file which shows this problem?
Just trying to pin down what is causing this. Do you have a .bib file
with your bibliography set up? Do you have a \bibliographystyle
command set up? Do you have any \cite commands?

>> You can do this automatically >
>> %!TEX TS-program = pdflatexmk
>>>
>> The latest version of TeXShop, 2.10beta8, already has the latexmk
>> engines but you've got to move the Engines folder out of ~/Library/
>> TeXShop/, (re)start TeXShop and then set it up via the instructions
>> in the new Engines/disabled/ folder.
>>

> I have downloaded pdflatexmk, but am having difficulty with the Engine
> directions here. When I move the Engine folder out of ~/Library/
> TeXShop/
> where do I put it? When I simply moved it over into the Library but
> out of
> Engines and restart TeXShop, I get new engines for latexmk,
> pdflatexmk,
> XeLaTex, xelatexmk, and XeTex, but no instructions in a /disabled/
> folder.

When you say downloaded, I assume you mean the LatexmkTeXShop.zip
file. Hope that's correct. If you mean you downloaded the latest
TeXShop 2.10beta8 and ``moved the Engine folder and (re)started
TeXshop ...'' let me know.

The three engine files ((xe/pdf)latexmk.engine) should be in your ~/
Library/TeXShop/Engines/ folder. The four files, (xe/pdf)latexmkrc
files and latexmk, should be placed in the ~/Library/TeXShop/bin/
folder.

Then, to use latexmk to automatically run through the processing the
proper number of times, add the line

%!TEX TS-program = pdflatexmk

(or latexmk or xelatexmk) at the beginning of the source file. when
you Typeset (Cmd-T) the pdflatexmk (or latexmk or xelatexmk) engines
will be executed and latexmk will use the proper commands, in the
right sequence, the correct number of times to get (cross)references,
the bibliography and index (if you have one) set up properly.

> Am now having success with inserting the .eps files thanks to
> everyone's
> advice. I now have graphicx with epstopdf and have guaranteed the
> options under the preferences-->engine are correct AND left
> off the file name extensions. No problem now.
>
> Thanks for any insight here,
> Christina

Glad to hear that.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)