[OS X TeX] Aspell not working

Michael Kubovy kubovy at virginia.edu
Tue Feb 20 15:04:43 CET 2007

Thanks Adam,

On Feb 20, 2007, at 8:47 AM, Adam M. Goldstein wrote:

> On Feb 20, 2007, at 8:19 AM, Michael Kubovy wrote:
>
>> I'm running Mac OS X 10.4.8 (8N1250) on a MacPro. I installed
>> Aspell, but I'm not getting underlining of spelling error either
>> in TeXShop or in Mail.app.
>>
>> Suggestions as to the problem?
>> _____________________________
>
> Regardless of whether you have Aspell installed, you should get
> spell checking using the built-in spell checker. The easiest way to
> get this on a per-application basis is to right-click (ctrl-click)
> when editing text, and choose "check spelling as you type".

I had done that both in Mail and in TeXShop.

> How did you install Aspell? Did you install cocoASpell? This
> integrates with OS X and will create a preference pane in your
> system preferences which you can use to select one of the Aspell
> dictionaries. I have selected all three of the "English (United
> States) dictionaries." I don't know what the differences are, though.

I installed cocoAspell.2.0.4.i86.dmg

> I don't know how to get the OS to check spelling using Aspell
> dictionaries installed by Fink or DarwinPorts or some other method;
> I am sure someone on the list does know though . . .

Still no underlining of misspelled words, and when I open Aspell <CMD-
SHIFT-:> it doesn't find the errors.
_____________________________
Professor Michael Kubovy
University of Virginia
Department of Psychology
USPS:     P.O.Box 400400    Charlottesville, VA 22904-4400
Parcels:    Room 102        Gilmer Hall
         McCormick Road    Charlottesville, VA 22903
Office:    B011    +1-434-982-4729
Lab:        B019    +1-434-982-4751
Fax:        +1-434-982-4766
WWW:    http://www.people.virginia.edu/~mk9y/