[OS X TeX] Intermingling fonts using Fontspec

Signups signups at norvelle.org
Sat Feb 17 18:55:04 CET 2007

Greetings all,

First off, thanks for the quick response to my earlier question about
speeding up rendering.  I've got a new question that's been baffling me
regarding switching between fonts.  I think I'm doing something wrong,
but I can't seem to figure out how to make things work right.

My issue is that I need to be able to switch between a standard serif
font (in this case, I'm using Times New Roman) for the body of my work,
and the Greek font Porson, which I use to typeset Greek words and
citations.  I chose Porson because of its superior readability in longer
passages.

To switch fonts, I declared a command \gk{} to use the Fontspec package
as follows:

\newcommand{\gk}[1]{\fontspec{Porson}#1}

XeTeX (LaTeX?) seems to be smart enough to switch back to my standard
roman font after the end of the final brace.  However, there are some
strange effects that occur after I've included my first Greek citation
in the text.  In particular, the Unicode combined double quote mark
disappears, as does the opening single-quote mark.  Also, if the
sentence as a whole is in a section heading, the heading begins in bold,
but after the Greek it continues in normal weight.  Also, the FreeSerif
font seems to suddenly turn on ligatures (although I'm not sure that
Greek is the cause).

There must be some way to tell XeTeX to switch on Porson Greek for a
certain selection of text, and then revert back to the standard Roman
font, without losing the font features of the overall text group, or
causing weird font effects to appear in the following text.

All help greatly appreciated in advance.

Saludos
Erik Norvelle

Universidad de Navarra,
Pamplona, Spain