[OS X TeX] line break within \item of \description

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Wed Feb 14 19:37:47 CET 2007

Am 13.02.2007 um 17:41 schrieb Markus Bongard:

> In some cases I like to "force"a line break within the \item-
> assignment *because the name will reach horizontally in the second
> column on the page*, but everything I tried so far is not working.
> Maybe somebody kind out here has a suggestion?

The description environment is defined in the CLS file you use. It's
based on the primitive list environment. It's simple, it does not
measure how much space is left for the description itself. Usually
the labels are quite short ...

The easy cure: split one item and its description into n continuations.

The more complicated cure: use something like \parbox[t]{width} for
the label's definition. Microtypography should improve the look, or
make it ragged.

Probably the best cure: forget the many columns, use only one on the
narrow ISO B5 paper and create your own environment based on
minipages with fixed width side by side, each pair contained in its
own pair of \begin{multicols}{2}...\end{multicols}, that each pair of
label and description is aligned to each other, and not stacked
either left or right.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete                                           0
                                            %-/\_//
                                             (*)(*)