[OS X TeX] Re: using xeTex

Manuel Souto Pico m.soutopico at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 10:53:59 CET 2007

Thanks Jonathan!

2007/2/13, Jonathan Kew <jonathan_kew at sil.org>:
> On 13 Feb 2007, at 8:43 am, Manuel Souto Pico wrote:
>
> >> Putting this together, here's a version of your file that should work
> >> better:
> >>
> >> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
> >> %!TEX TS-program = xelatex
> >> %!TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode
> >> \documentclass[a4paper,10pt,oneside]{book}
> >> \usepackage[spanish,catalan,british]{babel}
> >> \usepackage{fontspec}
> >> \setmainfont{Palatino} % assuming you have Palatino installed in your
> >
> > It seems I don't have neither Palatino nor Times installed in my Fonts
> > folder. This is not that important, so I'll leave it for later.
>
> I don't think OS X ships with Palatino, so you'd only have that if
> you have installed it separately, or as part of some package that
> bundles it.
>
> You should have Times, as it ships in /System/Library/Fonts; what
> happens if you try
>
>    \setromanfont{Times Roman}

Yes, it works now. I was trying to use the command \setromanfont{Times}

Accents work now with the Times font.

> in your document?
>

> > However, I still have that problem about accents:
> >
> >> Fonts folder
> >>
> >> \begin{document}
> >>
> >> no tengo sarampión
> >
> > Instead of this my output is "no tengo sarampin".
>
> You'll get this if you haven't changed the font from the default
> Computer Modern, as the CM fonts are custom 7-bit fonts that don't
> support Unicode accented characters directly.

Yes, that's what happened (see above)

> I expect it says "see the transcript file for additional information"
> at the end of the run, and if you look in the .log file, you'll find
> a "Missing character" message,
>
> JK

Thank you very much for your help.

I would like to ask for something else. I see that some of my
knowlodge about latex (acquired with a couple of books about latex and
searching the Web) is useless if I use xelatex. I'm a bit taken aback
by this. Could you recommend any (preferably free) resource about
xelatex or the differences with latex. I prefer spending a bit of time
reading beforehand (although I suppose I will know many things
already) instead of searching and/or asking every time I run into a
problem. I'll be grateful for any suggestion.

Cheers! Manuel