[OS X TeX] Re: using xeTex

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Tue Feb 13 10:14:14 CET 2007

On 13 Feb 2007, at 8:43 am, Manuel Souto Pico wrote:

>> Putting this together, here's a version of your file that should work
>> better:
>>
>> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>> %!TEX TS-program = xelatex
>> %!TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode
>> \documentclass[a4paper,10pt,oneside]{book}
>> \usepackage[spanish,catalan,british]{babel}
>> \usepackage{fontspec}
>> \setmainfont{Palatino} % assuming you have Palatino installed in your
>
> It seems I don't have neither Palatino nor Times installed in my Fonts
> folder. This is not that important, so I'll leave it for later.

I don't think OS X ships with Palatino, so you'd only have that if
you have installed it separately, or as part of some package that
bundles it.

You should have Times, as it ships in /System/Library/Fonts; what
happens if you try

   \setromanfont{Times Roman}

in your document?

> However, I still have that problem about accents:
>
>> Fonts folder
>>
>> \begin{document}
>>
>> no tengo sarampión
>
> Instead of this my output is "no tengo sarampin".

You'll get this if you haven't changed the font from the default
Computer Modern, as the CM fonts are custom 7-bit fonts that don't
support Unicode accented characters directly.

I expect it says "see the transcript file for additional information"
at the end of the run, and if you look in the .log file, you'll find
a "Missing character" message,

JK