[OS X TeX] It is possible to use UCS free Unicode fonts with XeTeX (FreeSans, FreeSerif, etc)

John McChesney-Young panis at pacbell.net
Tue Feb 13 04:09:51 CET 2007

At 3:12 AM +0100 2/13/07, Erik Norvelle wrote in part:

>I'm writing my doctoral thesis, which includes a large amount of
>Classical Greek text. ...
>
>The fonts I chose to use are from the UCS free font collection, i.e.
>FreeSans, FreeSerif and FreeMono. ... My question:  Has anybody been
>able to successfully install these fonts with XeTeX on Mac?  Or is
>there another font (say Gentium) that includes the full Unicode
>character range that *can* be successfully installed? >>

With XeTeX the fonts don't need any special installation; you just
put them wherever fonts would normally go for use either by the
system or user: /Library/Fonts/ or ~/Library/Fonts/.

I haven't used the fonts you mention above, but Aisa Unicode,
Alkaios, Aristokoj, Cardo, Galatia SIL, Galilee Unicode Gk, Gentium
and GentiumAlt (the former has a tilde-like circumflex, the latter a
lunate one), Lucida Grande, New Athena Unicode, Old Standard, and
Porson are all either included with OS X or freely available and
cover the whole Greek Extended block. The designer of Old Standard
just announced its availability on the XeTeX list, and you'll find it
at:

http://www.thessalonica.org.ru/en/fonts.html

I like it quite a bit.

You might also find the resources listed here:

http://www.russellcottrell.com/greek/fonts.htm and here:

http://www.ntgateway.com/greek/fonts.htm

of use.

If you're used to typing Beta Code, SophoKeys is a very handy way to
input polytonic Unicode Greek:

http://www.sourcecod.com/sophokeys/

If this doesn't help, I suggest you try asking on the XeTeX list:

John
--

*** John McChesney-Young  **  panis~at~pacbell.net  **   Berkeley,
California, U.S.A.  ***