[OS X TeX] section* and header content

Enrico Gregorio gregorio at sci.univr.it
Sat Feb 10 23:55:38 CET 2007

> In a report where I needed both a French and English abstract, I
> decided not to use the abstract facility of the article class.
> Instead, I made 2 sections,
>
> \section*{Résumé}
> \addcontentsline{toc}{section}{\numberline{}Résumé}
>
> abstract in French
>
> \newpage
> \begin{otherlanguage*}{english}
> \section*{Abstract}
> \addcontentsline{toc}{section}{\numberline{}Abstract}
>
> abstract in English.
>
> All is almost well...
>
> I use the package fancyhdr with default settings. On both abstract
> pages, the header reads "LIST OF FIGURES", not quite what I hoped for.
>
> In Guide to Latex it is said that the * form results in no number
> (perfect here) and no entry in TOC (I want one, so I asked for it and
> I got one). It does not say that no "\leftmark" is created.

\cleardoublepage % we should start on a right hand page
\section*{Résumé}
\addcontentsline{toc}{section}{\numberline{}Résumé}
\markboth{Résumé}{Résumé}

\clearpage % this can go on the verso page; are we sure?
\section*{Abstract}
\addcontentsline{toc}{section}{\numberline{}Abstract}
\markboth{Abstract}{Abstract}
\begin{otherlanguage*}{english}

Probably, however, I would not have headings on the first page of the
abstract, so a \thispagestyle{plain} should be issued. Moreover I would
list the abstracts at the same level of chapters, without the
\numberline{} (but these are personal preferences).

And if the abstract is short, the two can go on the same page.

Ciao
Enrico