[OS X TeX] hyphenation in longtable

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sat Feb 10 23:31:05 CET 2007

Am 10.02.2007 um 22:12 schrieb Chabot Denis:

> But it would  be nice to understand why asking for raggedright
> columns stopped hyphenation. Is it a normal feature of raggedright
> text in LaTeX?

The LaTeX Companion declares it a TeX problem: there is no really
good measure to decide whether the space is used well enough or could
use another word particle. So hyphenation looks poor again. The
ragged2e package is meant to improve this. It could become effective
by using \RaggedRight – I haven't tested it.

And there is second problem that TeX has: it never hyphenates the
first word in a paragraph! (Probably bad in German!) A work-around is

	\hspace{0pt}FirstGermanWordOfQuiteSomeUsualLengthAsSupposed

or

	\begin{longtable}{>{\RaggedRight\hspace{0pt}}p{2.8cm}...}

> I sometimes need to add a bit more space between the bottom of a
> row of cells and the top of next one. I use \\[8pt] and all is well.
>
> Except when the next line starts with \multicolumn.
>
> In that case, there is no extra spacing at all. Is it normal or did
> I do something weird somewhere in my longtable?

You can use invisible rulers or raise an object and gain extra space:

	\rule[-5mm]{0mm}{12.5mm}...
	\multicolumn{3}{|c|}{\rule[-5mm]{0mm}{12.5mm}...}

You can also use horizontal rulers: rule[5mm]{25mm}{0mm}...

I don't think longtable has some extra command for this trivial task.

--
Greetings

   Pete

"A mathematician is a machine that turns coffee into theorems."