[OS X TeX] dvipdfmx

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Feb 8 16:53:59 CET 2007

Le 8 févr. 07 à 15:34, Gerben Wierda a écrit :

> I have been asked to add dvipdfmx-compatibility to simpdftex (formerly
> altpdftex). I would be happy to do so, but I would like to know
> what the
> advantages are of using dvipdfmx instead of pdftex, before I commit
> time
> and effort.

This may not be relevant, but would it be interesting to consider
"modularity" here, namely to modify the working of simpdftex such
that it could deal with the various TeX-to-PDF scenarii that can arise:

.tex -> tex -> .dvi -> dvips -> .ps -> ps2pdf (or pstopdf) -> .pdf
.tex -> tex -> .dvi -> dvipdfm(x) -> .pdf
.tex -> "xetex -no-pdf" -> .xdv -> xdvipdfmx (or xdv2pdf) -> .pdf

And there are certainly scenarii that I am forgetting, like those
involving Omega. I cannot tell for sure, never having used Omega
myself, but I imagine these would go as:

.tex -> omega -> .odvi -> dvips -> .ps -> ps2pdf (or pstopdf) -> .pdf
.tex -> omega -> .odvi -> dvipdfm(x) -> .pdf

But then one has to add ways to specify the tex-like application
(like a --texprog option), and ways to pass on options to these
applications. For example a --texopts for passing on the -no-pdf
option to xetex, and a --extratexopts for passing on additional
options to xetex. And possibly a --distilleropts for passing on -
dAutoRotatePages=/None to ps2pdf.

Again, I'm not sure this is relevant or simply worth the effort, it's
only here as a suggestion.

Bruno Voisin