[OS X TeX] Creating a Sensible PDF Document

André Bellaïche abellaic at math.jussieu.fr
Wed Feb 7 19:49:17 CET 2007

Le 7 févr. 07 à 18:55, Bruno Voisin a écrit :

> Le 7 févr. 07 à 18:23, Philipp Mathey a écrit :
>
>> If I wanted to create a document with say xelatex that
>> can be read on some machine not running mac os x . say a system
>> running Linux with xpdf,
>> would I have to choose the option to have all fonts embedded in
>> the document
>> during the configuration phase even though this will create a much
>> larger
>> document ? Is that the only way ?
>
> The option -E in Jonathan's suggestion
>
>   xelatex -output-driver="xdvipdfmx -q -E" myfile.tex
>
> tells precisely to always embed fonts. xdvipdfmx has apparently no
> man page, but on the command line you can get:
>
>> $ xdvipdfmx
>> No dvi filename specified.
>> This is xdvipdfmx-0.3 by Jonathan Kew and Jin-Hwan Cho,
>>
>> -E              Always try to embed fonts, regardless of licensing
>> flags.

Thanks for the information.

And what should you do to get the same behaviour if you use TeXShop ?
(Same question for pdflatex or tex+ghostscript ?)

English language question : what do you mean by `sensible', applied
to a pdf file ? What is the difference with `sensitive' ? In French,
the two words are almost synonymous. For differential equations, you
can say "sensible aux conditions initiales".

André Bellaïche