[OS X TeX] LinkBack/LaTeX on Mac OS X Feedback

Scott Murman smurman at segosha.net
Wed Feb 7 18:53:30 CET 2007

>  I am interested in finding out if the Mac LaTeX users here would
> be interested in seeing Apple doing something with LaTeX in Mac OS
> X, or would you rather Apple leave it alone and defer to the
> current community-based efforts?

I would like to see a tightly integrated support for scientific
publishing within OSX, iWork, iLife, etc.  Given the UNIX roots of
OSX, and the  professional graphics roots of the mac, this seems a
natural fit to me.  While it is likely a relatively low-profit niche,
I'm surprised it has not been addressed to date.  Providing linkback
support is useful, however there is no reason mathematical
typesetting cannot be directly integrated into the applications.
Opening the character palette provides a teasing glimpse of the
possibilities when combining UNICODE and mathematics, however
actually working with the UI of the character/keyboard palettes is
crippling.  An integrated suite of applications - spreadsheet,
plotting, presentation, typesetting - would be a strong product that
would tie even more of the scientific community to apple hardware.

-SM-