[OS X TeX] LinkBack/LaTeX on Mac OS X Feedback

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Wed Feb 7 03:40:20 CET 2007

On Feb 6, 2007, at 12:20, Maarten Sneep wrote:

> On Feb 6, 2007, at 18:34, King Chung Huang wrote:
>>
>> I am in the process of preparing my requests for this year's agenda
>> items. I am interested in finding out if the Mac LaTeX users here
>> would be interested in seeing Apple doing something with LaTeX in
>> Mac OS X, or would you rather Apple leave it alone and defer to the
>> current community-based efforts? The "something" could mean
>> anything from simply including LaTeX in Mac OS X, to integration
>> with the text system. If there is interest in some sort of activity
>> from Apple, I will make a request to talk about this on this year's
>> agenda. And, if it makes it onto the agenda, I will post back with
>> questions on this list to get more specific information to present
>> to Apple.
>
> I believe there were contacts before between the TUG and Apple on
> possibly including a TeX distribution in Mac OS X. However the size
> requirements (about 20 MB, iirc) were such that I think we're better
> off doing it ourself (using TeX Live as a basis).

Having a full TeX Live install option from Apple would be nice,
though, as you point out!  Not much fits in 20 MB, these days.

> Having Apple include TeX would put us in the same situation as Perl/
> Python/Ruby: nice that it is there as a standard, but serious user
> will always want to upgrade (while you're at it, could you ask about
> putting these wider open source efforts not in /System/Library but
> in /Library, so that upgrading those somponents becomes easier).

I don't think that's possible without breaking 3rd party application
support, especially with Leopard's forthcoming support for those
languages.

> - Standards support: ODF at the framework level

Reports indicate that this is already in Leopard, for what it's worth.

Adam