[OS X TeX] LinkBack/LaTeX on Mac OS X Feedback

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Wed Feb 7 00:39:48 CET 2007

Le 6 févr. 07 à 21:20, Maarten Sneep a écrit :

> I believe there were contacts before between the TUG and Apple on
> possibly including a TeX distribution in Mac OS X. However the size
> requirements (about 20 MB, iirc) were such that I think we're
> better off doing it ourself (using TeX Live as a basis).

IIRC the videoconf with Ernie Prabakhar from Apple, one suggestion he
made at the end of the discussion, given the size requirements TeX
couldn't satisfy for inclusion as an additional package on the OS X
disks, was that we would be better off starting from OpenOffice.org
and adding TeX capability like what OOoLaTeX is now adding <http://
ooolatex.sourceforge.net/>.

> Other items that may or may not be useful to you:
>
> [...]
> - Support community efforts that add useful functionality and added
> value (Hint: LinkBack officially in iWork).
> - Standards support: ODF at the framework level
> - A system wide support tree for XML support files.

The publication of the XML schemes for up-to-date Keynote and Pages
documents, similar to what was published for Keynote 1 at <http://
developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2002/tn2067.html>. This would
hopefully allow and encourage the development of plugins, similar to
OOoLaTeX, for iWork applications, inserting LaTeX output together
with input code, taking care of baseline correction, etc.

Or adding equation edition capability to iWork, based on MathML, or
(La)TeX, or something along the lines of <http://www.unicode.org/
notes/tn28/UTN28-PlainTextMath.pdf>.

Bruno Voisin