[OS X TeX] Page origin problem with TeXLive and dvips

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Feb 1 02:44:26 CET 2007

On Jan 31, 2007, at 6:55 PM, Roberto Avanzi wrote:

> On 31 Jan 2007, at 22:13, Bruno Voisin wrote:
>
>> If I understand correctly, your problem is automatic rotation of
>> certain pages when using the ps2pdf converter (invoked when
>> running TeXShop in TeX and Ghostscript mode).
>
> Correct
>
>> This is a know problem, caused by the default configuration of
>> Ghostscript which is to auto-rotate pages based on their content.
>
> Oh.  A very strange option that in fact should be optional, not
> default,
> in my opinion.

Howdy,

Strange is definitely true! But ps2pdf(13) has had that as the
default for a while!

>> To disactivate this, the trick is invoke ps2pdf with the option:
>>
>> 	-dAutoRotatePages=/None
>>
>> See <file:///usr/local/share/ghostscript/8.54/doc/Ps2pdf.htm>.
>>
>> The problem is, I'm not sure of how to insert this option when
>> TeXShop invokes ps2pdf through the script simpdftex. The solution
>> has been posted to this list, but that was long ago and I don't
>> remember.
>
> I will dig it
>

>> You may try, in TeXShop's Preferences > Engine > TeX + dvips +
>> distiller, to use the commands:
>>
>> - For TeX: simpdftex tex --maxpfb --extradvipsopts "-
>> dAutoRotatePages=/None"
>>
>> - For LaTeX: simpdftex latex --maxpfb --extradvipsopts "-
>> dAutoRotatePages=/None"
>
> This does not work.
> It gets passed to dvips and the workflow chokes on
>
> /usr/texbin/dvips: ! Bad debug option (-d).
> ### FAILED to generate /tmp/altpdflatex.15917-1170291215/ml9.ps ()

This is not a dvips option so that won't work. The fix I gave,
setting an environment variable, should work all the time. There is
another way to do it but let me know if the method I gave doesn't, in
fact, work either.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)