[OS X TeX] PATH in Leopard

Chris Menzel cmenzel at tamu.edu
Sun Dec 30 23:44:38 CET 2007

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007, Alain Matthes wrote:
> Le 30 déc. 07 à 08:39, Jerome Laurens a écrit :
>
>> Selon Alain Matthes <alain.matthes at mac.com>:
>>
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> AlterMundus:~ ego$ $PATH gives this
>>
>> You are asking the shell to execute the contents of the PATH
>> environment variable as command, and bash informs you that there is
>> no command to execute.
>>
>> Instead
>>
>> echo $PATH
>>
>> or
>>
>> printenv PATH
>>
>> will only print the contents of the environement variable, I guess
>> this is what you wanted
>
> :) thanks (I was surprised that Apple works with a new method on path)

Maybe I'm missing your meaning, but just to clarify: Apple has not
altered the way the PATH environment variable works in bash or what
happens when "$PATH" is typed at the command line in a bash shell.  PATH
is simply a variable whose value is a string representing your search
path for executable files.  "$PATH" references this value, so entering
it at the command line has the same effect as entering the string
itself, in your case:

/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/texbin:

And bash rightly tells you that there is "No such file or directory".

-chris