[OS X TeX] \includegraphics and Annotated PDFs

Matthew Leingang leingang at math.harvard.edu
Thu Dec 20 13:15:25 CET 2007

On Dec 19, 2007, at 7:44 PM, Rick Zaccone wrote:

> I have a PDF file that I created by taking a screenshot of an
> application.  I opened the PDF in Preview and annotated it with an
> oval to highlight a button in the screenshot.  Then I saved the file.
>
> When I use \includegraphics to display this PDF, it displays
> without the annotation!  If I open the file in Preview, it shows
> the annotation.
>
> I tried annotating the file with Skim and got the same results.
>
> I am using
>
> \usepackage{graphicx}
>
> I've done this before and it worked.  Could it be Leopard?  I'm
> using 10.5.1 and TeXShop.  Does anyone know why this isn't working?

Dear Rick,

I'm pretty sure the annotation of PDFs changed between the Tiger and
Leopard versions of Preview (disclaimer: I'm not a Leopard user
yet).  I remember annotating PDFs in Tiger Preview and discovering
that the annotations are more permanent than I liked, unlike in
Acrobat Pro where you can move, edit, and delete annotations.  So I'm
guessing that Leopard Preview is more like Acrobat Pro, and the
annotation is implemented in a way that doesn't show up in other PDF
readers.  See

	http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/300.html#preview

Have you tried the overpic package?  It makes it easy to annotate
graphics in LaTeX.

HTH,
Matt

--