[OS X TeX] Delayed updated of pdf file in TS

Themis Matsoukas matsoukas at psu.edu
Wed Dec 19 23:37:02 CET 2007

On Dec 18, 2007, at 2:22 PM, Gary L. Gray wrote:

> On Dec 18, 2007, at 2:00 PM, Themis Matsoukas wrote:
>
>> Ever since Leopard I have noticed a delay in the update of the pdf
>> window upon typesetting a file in TexShop:
>>
>> 1. Edit a latex file to make some change
>> 2. Make sure the pdf window is on the page where you expect the
>> change to appear.
>> 3. Typeset
>>
>> If you activate the pdf window (by clicking on it) *before* the
>> typesetting is finished, the pdf file will not be updated to
>> reflect the changes in the source file.  To force the pdf to
>> update,  either scroll the pdf window, or activate the source file
>> by clicking on it.
>

> Hi Themis.
>
> Either I am not understanding the steps or this isn't happening to
> me, but I am not seeing this behavior (at least on the one file I
> tested). This is with TeXShop 2.15 (the one Dick released a couple
> of weeks ago) on Mac OS X 10.5.1.

I downloaded TS 2.15 and I still see the delay. After some
experimentation it seems that the delay shows only if you set the
"Show Console" preference to "Always". Switching to "when error
occurs" makes it go away (you have to quit TS and relaunch between
changing these preferences). You should try a fairly long document,
otherwise it's not easy to click on the pdf window before typesetting
is done.

Themis