[OS X TeX] line breaks \n vs. \r ???

Steffen Wolfrum mactex_aa at st.estfiles.de
Mon Dec 17 21:45:06 CET 2007

Am 17.12.2007 um 21:12 schrieb Charilaos Skiadas:

> On Dec 17, 2007, at 2:51 PM, Steffen Wolfrum wrote:

>>> Not quite: TextWrangler (and BBedit) will use \r for a linebreak,
>>> no matter what the file is set to use when saving.
>>

>> Right, that's exactly the problem! As I need to perform the same
>> regex search/replace actions sometimes with TextWrangler,
>> sometimes with TeXShop I need to have the same syntax, i.e. line-
>> ending syntax.
>>
>> Just, how do I gap the distance between TS's UNIX and TW's Mac
>> format ?
>>

> I have to say I don't see why you feel the need to be able to do
> the same thing in two different systems. Why have the two systems
> then? Presumably you need both because there are some thing one can
> do that the other can't, but in that case you could consider this
> as one of those things. But I guess I don't have any idea what your
> workflow is like.
> In any case, doesn't Aaron's suggestion of using (\r(\n)?|\n) work?
> I would expect that to work in both systems.

Why should someone start to rewrite his collection of regexp search/
replace-strings when there is still a little hope that he can
continue using them with the other program? Honestly, I really hoped
that someone just says »right, you can also set this option there«. I
didn't expect the applications to be so ... narrow-minded ;o)

Steffen