[OS X TeX] Multiple indexes with TeXShop

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Dec 15 22:19:44 CET 2007

On Dec 15, 2007, at 11:32 AM, André Bellaïche wrote:

> In order to make multiple indexes, the LaTeX companion advices us to
> use the index package. Everything looks fine and easy, but one thing
> How: do you compile your .**x file into a .**d file?
>
> The problem is: Makeindex command included in TeXShop works only
> for .idx and .ind
>
> Is there a way out without resorting to command line?
>
> One possibility is to use the old Macintosh application Makeindex
> v2.12 which worked well in OS 9 (I still have Classic on my i-mac),
> so well that you didn't have to use aliases for French diacritics. I
> mean, it used to put éléphant in its correct location in the index,
> you only had to type \index{éléphant}, not
> \index{elephant@éléphant}. But there is a drawback, you have to
> convert manually the OS X files produced by LaTeX in OS 9 files,
> before running Makeindex v2.12.
>
> So, this is the second question:
>
> Is there a way to convert Makeindex v2.12 into an OS X application
> (to carbonize it ?)?
>
> André Bellaïche

Howdy,

The easiest way to get all of this done automatically (bibliograph(y/
ies) too) is to use the latexmk package adapted to TeXShop. You can
get it as Latexmk321jTeXShop.zip from <http://homepage.mac.com/
herbs2>. By putting the line

%%!TEX TS-program = pdflatexmk

(for using pdflatex, similar for latex or xelatex) at the beginning of
the source file you can get a complete compile with multiple indexes,
bibliographies, glossaries, etc., with all (cross-)references
resolved. The latexmk program takes care of all of the necessary runs
of each program.

Hope this helps.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)