[OS X TeX] Off-Topic: Penelope; was, Re: Loss of Greek Porson font functionality

John McChesney-Young panis at pacbell.net
Tue Dec 11 17:05:32 CET 2007

At 3:52 PM +0100 12/11/07, Bruno Voisin thoughtfully asked:

>Have you had a try at Penelope (aka open-source Eudora):
>
><http://wiki.mozilla.org/Penelope> ...

Thank you for the suggestion; yes, I have. When the project was
announced I was delighted and waited for it with great anticipation
because of its Unicode capability. When the first public release came
out I put it on a year-old iMac I share and I liked it but wasn't
enthusiastic; I'm used to the old Eudora's appearance and there was
also something minor that didn't work correctly, I don't remember
what now; it was an early version so I wasn't surprised.

At your suggestion I've just now installed it on the computer I use
most often to try it out again, an old half-dome iMac running OS
10.2, and I'm sorry to say I still don't find it to be quite what I
want. I'm just wedded to the very plain single pane displays of old
Eudora, I guess.

The principal Unicode-using list I'm subscribed to is the XeTeX list,
and I get that at my Gmail address and so haven't had a desperate
need to switch.

In 2005 I tried Apple Mail (too shiny for my taste), Thunderbird
(stopped working correctly after 6 months: searches would make the
app hang, a fatal problem for my use), and Opera's mail component
(after 6 months as my sole client I still wasn't able to get used to
it, which has been my problem with the browser as well despite my
enthusiasm for some of its features).

Sorry for the off-topic post, but if others are looking for The
Perfect Mac OS X E-Mail Client this might be of interest - and if
you've found it, please let me know (off-list if you prefer).

Thank you again, Bruno, for this and for all your useful and informative posts!

John
--

*** John McChesney-Young  **  panis~at~pacbell.net  **   Berkeley,
California, U.S.A.  ***