[OS X TeX] TeXShop 2.14 does not display saved Chinese characters correctly

Jung-Tsung Shen jushen at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 23:36:34 CET 2007

On 12/5/07, Jung-Tsung Shen <jushen at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/5/07, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
> >

> > Try to make a fresh file starting with a blank document and make sure
> > it has the
> >
> > %%!TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode
> >
> > line before saving it the first time. I've seen problems if I try to
> > change the encoding once it has been saved.
>

> Herbert,
>

> The line (with double %%) does help to preserve the Chinese characters
> when reopened. The encoding method on saving, however, seem to be
> ineffective. I would think the encoding method on saving should do the same
> trick. Or, this is a way of implementation to accomplish cross platforms,
> cross text editors, ... etc?
>

> Thanks.
>

> JT

The situation I am facing now is, to get the characters displayed correctly,
I have to include the line (%%!TEX ...) at the beginning of the document.
But when I submit the manuscript to the publisher (APS in question), should
I include this line as well? Will it cause any other side effect on APS'
side? [I know the only way to find out is to ask APS ... but I would
appreciate some comments from the point of view of LaTeX.]

JT