[OS X TeX] TeXShop 2.14 does not display saved Chinese characters correctly

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Wed Dec 5 22:27:10 CET 2007

On 5 dec 2007, at 22:00, Jung-Tsung Shen wrote:

> I am using TeXShop (2.14) on OS 10.4.11.
>
> The document containing Chinese characters can be compiled and
> displayed correctly using CJK package now (see previous thread).
> However, when the file is saved, and reopened, the characters become
> random codes (or, codes), rather than the original typed characters.
> This is true regardless which method (UTF-8, Chinese ...) is used to
> save.
>
> The previous version of TeXShop seems to not have this problem. I
> remember I tested this before following the discussions on this
> forum using xeLaTeX, and the saved documents containing Chinese
> characters show up fine when reopened.
>
> I suspect this is also true for other language such as Japanese or
> Korean, but I haven't tested.

I get the same.

- setting the default encoding to UTF-8 does not help.
- including the %!TEX encoding =  UTF-8 statement does not make a
difference.
- Opening the file from the file menu and explicitly selecting UTF-8
for its encoding does not help.
- The file displays correctly in BBEdit, and is recognised there are
UTF-8.

I believe we have a bug in TeXShop.

What I see is that non-ASCII characters are displayed as multiple
characters, from the 128-255 value range in whatever encoding TeXShop
finally decides to use.

I'm on Leopard, so the OS did not introduce this change, afaics.
Richard, under which OS was 2.14 built?

I'll file a bug report.

Maarten