[OS X TeX] rtf2latex2e problems

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Wed Dec 5 13:51:11 CET 2007

Daniel Becker schreef:

> I am trying to convert an rtf file with many equations and figures
> to .tex. The rtf-file has been produced with MS Word.
>
> I tried the rtf2latex2e converter. The results is a .tex-file and
> many .pict and .eqn files. I am not able to typeset the .tex-file.
>
> 1) I get an error "unknown graphics extension: .pict", both with
> latex via ghostscript and with pdflatex.
>
> Is there a way to use .pict directly? I am using mactex/texlive2007

No. pdflatex will use pdf, metapost output, png and jpg. I only ever got
latex+ghostscript working with eps and metapost output.

> 2) all those eqn-files are not used at all. What is their purpose?
> Only a few of the .pict files are used.

No idea. What is in those eqn files: text, binary?

> 3) What other tools for rtf-latex really work on a mac? Especially
> nice would be (basic) conversion of Word equation editor formulars
> to .tex.

Try http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/support/rtf2latex/

I have no idea if there is anything that will translate Word equations to
latex. Perhaps if you buy the full equation editor.

Maarten -- who is forced to use Word at the moment, and loves to ditch it
again.