[OS X TeX] rtf2latex2e problems

Daniel Becker daniel.becker at uni-rostock.de
Wed Dec 5 12:58:05 CET 2007

Hallo,

I am trying to convert an rtf file with many equations and figures
to .tex. The rtf-file has been produced with MS Word.

I tried the rtf2latex2e converter. The results is a .tex-file and
many .pict and .eqn files. I am not able to typeset the .tex-file.

1) I get an error "unknown graphics extension: .pict", both with
latex via ghostscript and with pdflatex.

Is there a way to use .pict directly? I am using mactex/texlive2007

2) all those eqn-files are not used at all. What is their purpose?
Only a few of the .pict files are used.

3) What other tools for rtf-latex really work on a mac? Especially
nice would be (basic) conversion of Word equation editor formulars
to .tex.

I know it sounds like an FAQ but I didn't find something useful.

Thanks for any ideas

Daniel

PS: I tried to open the file in OpenOffice (NeoOffice) for Mac with
writer2latex  version 0.5 Exporting to .tex (http://www.hj-gym.dk/~hj/
writer2latex/) resulted in a very compicated file that typesets ok
but looks ugly.