[OS X TeX] Re: TeXShop 2.14

Michael S. Hanson mshanson at wesleyan.edu
Mon Aug 20 22:54:40 CEST 2007

On Aug 20, 2007, at 4:11 PM, Morten Høgholm wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 21:35:48 +0200, Themis Matsoukas wrote:
>
>> I just experienced the same behavior with Illustrator! I have CS2
>> but I some time ago I downloaded the CS3 demo, which has now
>> expired but is still on my disk. Myy eps files open now by default
>> in CS3 and when I tried to change all to open in CS2, my finder
>> refused to honor the change even through it went the motions (it
>> pops up the window "Do you really want to change all?", I say yes,
>> but then the change doesn't go through).  But then, when I chose
>> preview.app as my default eps viewer, change all worked like a
>> charm. It looks as if the most recent system updates are
>> responsible for this -or I have the same screw up with my user
>> account as you do.
>
> Same problem for me here. Doesn't even help to use Default Apps (a
> handy preference pane for this sort of thing). Most annoying actually.

	The problem is with the LaunchServices database.  If you search on
MacOSXHints.com, you'll find several discussions and suggestions of
how to resolve the problems you all have described.  Most of the
solutions posted there involve working in the Terminal to force one's
Mac to rebuild that database;  there do exist GUI apps for system
maintenance that should allow one to accomplish the same thing.  Hope
that helps.

                                         -- Mike