[OS X TeX] pdflatex.fmt format file missing

Robert Morelli morelli at flux.utah.edu
Mon Aug 13 02:47:41 CEST 2007

Robert Morelli wrote:
> 2. TeX-Live on Mac seems to handle the $TEXMF environment variable
> differently than other systems.
> A short note in the readme file indicates that this variable does not
> need to be set on OS X and that
> tex searches in ~/Library/texmf for personal style files. I can see
> the logic of that, but I'd prefer to go
> on doing things the old way because I occasionally use other Unix
> systems. Specifically, I'd like to
> tell tex to look in certain directories within my home directory tree
> for additional style files. What's
> the standard way to do that?

Actually, I seem to have misunderstood. The $TEXMF variable is not
necessary if you only want to use
~/Library/texmf, but it is not ignored if it is set. So it seems under
OS X we have the best of both worlds.

I set the following in my .bash_profile and it's working fine:

if [ `uname` = "Darwin" ]; then
    TEXMFMAIN=/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist
    TEXMFLOCAL=/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local
elif [ `uname` = "SunOS" ]; then
.
.
.
fi

TEXMF={$TEXMFLOCAL,$TEXMFMAIN}
export
TEXINPUTS_latex=.:$HOME/Papers/TeXInputs:$TEXMF/tex/{latex,latex3,generic,}//
export
TEXINPUTS_pdflatex=.:$HOME/Papers/TeXInputs:$TEXMF/{pdftex,tex}/{latex,latex3,generic,}//:$TEXMF/pdftex/config
export BIBINPUTS=.:$HOME/Papers:$TEXMF/bibtex/{bib,}//