[OS X TeX] Counters, Random Numbers and Exam.cls

Matthew Inglis mavanatapattu at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 20:04:23 CEST 2007

Hi all,

I'm using Jason Alexander's exam.cls (sometimes called examdesign)
package to generate scripts for participants in an experiment I'm
running. I need each participant's stimuli to be generated randomly.
For this I'd normally use the lcg package. However, because of the way
exam.cls works, although randomly generated, the stimuli come out the
same for each participant.

So, my question is this: is it possible to create a counter whose name
includes another counter?
[i.e. a first guess might be something like
\usepackage[first=1,last=26,counter=letter\arabic{version}]{lcg}
(I was hoping this would generate a different counter for each value
of the counter "version". It doesn't work, but maybe there is a
different syntax?)]

Alternatively, is there a way of deleting counters mid-compile, so
that when exam.cls parses the file with a different value of
"version", the counters used by lcg no longer exist?

Alternatively, is there some other way of getting lcg to generate
different random numbers for each version of a script generated by
exam.cls?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Matthew

--