[OS X TeX] graphicx, pdflatex and pdf file names

Chris Goedde cgg.lists at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 17:17:06 CEST 2007

On Aug 3, 2007, at 9:58 AM, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> That said: you may find, for example, files with names like
> myimage.ps.gz (compressed PS files), where the extension is
> actually .ps.gz, and when used with the graphics package these are
> supposed to be uncompressed on the fly by zcat before being fed to
> the DVI driver.

Thanks for pointing this out, Bruno, which allows me to clarify: my
example (and argument) was meant to be specific to the case
foo.bar.pdf, not to the general world of nested extensions. I'm not
aware of any nesting at present that ends in .pdf, such as
foo.txt.pdf (possibly to indicate a pdf file that was pure text).

With that said, nested extensions such as .ps.gz and .tar.gz aren't
the only way to go. I've seen .tgz used instead of .tar.gz; something
similar could be done in other cases. (Of course, if extensions are
limited to three characters, that could be a problem.) And .ps.gz
and .tar.gz are probably clearer to the user than .tgz. I'm not
dogmatic, just practical :-).

I guess that also means that "fixing" pdflatex/graphicx is more
complicated than I originally thought, since there are special cases
to consider. Doing a naive right-to-left parsing of the filename for
the extension would break the case you bring up. Oh well, that's the
way it often is, unfortunately. So I take back some of my mean words
about pdflatex/graphicx. I still wish they were smarter, though :-).

--
Chris