[OS X TeX] Dataflow diagramming

Alan Litchfield alan at alphabyte.co.nz
Thu Aug 2 22:00:12 CEST 2007

Thanks Roberto,

Some very nice diagrams in your notes :)

I know I can draw the diagrams using the general tools available with
LaTeX, and indeed tcm provides a Yourdon and De Marco toolset with
their diagramming tools. I was seeing if there were any wonderful
tools that were similar to the graphing environments and so on that I
was not aware of. Just trying to avoid extra work ;0)

At the moment I use Visio but there are issues because I don't often
use Windows and the program is not always available to me. I print to
pdf, so the files are adequate if a little too Arial.

About changing the extension. Not sure what you mean. The pdf is a
binary file so changing the extension to tex and opening in a text
editor shows binary bumph.

Cheers
Alan

On 3/08/2007, at 2:53 AM, Roberto Avanzi wrote:

> On 29.07.2007, at 15:22, Alan Litchfield wrote:
>
>> I know it's a long shot, but does anyone know of a LaTeX toolset
>> for drawing
>> dataflow diagrams a la Gane and Sarson?
>
> I know of no specific toolsets for diagrams Gene-Sarson dataflow
> diagrams,
> but with pstricks and some creativity you can get anything you want
> (almost).
>
> Look at the following exercise sessions (in german!) from a
> cryptography
> course I gave at my university.
>
> Page 1 of http://caccioppoli.mac.rub.de/website/teachingmaterial/k1-
> ws0607/uz7.pdf
> Page 2 of http://caccioppoli.mac.rub.de/website/teachingmaterial/k1-
> ws0607/uz9.pdf
>
> Replace the .pdf extension with .tex to get the LaTeX sources (!).
> For a different placement of arrows and labels pstricks has everything
> (I do not remember the commands right away, but you can do that).
>
>  best
>   Roberto

Alan Litchfield GradDipBus, MBus(Hons), CTT, MNZCS
AlphaByte
PO Box 1941, Auckland, NZ. 1140